Thursday, July 9, 2009

Fourth of July

We had a great time in Blowing Rock over the July Fourth weekend. It had been nearly 100 degrees everyday the week before in Columbia, so we weren't prepared for the night temperatures in the low 40's in the mountains. Not to worry though - we found plenty of sweatshirts and kept Parker bundled up and we all stayed warm. We joined lots of family and friends in the mountains for what has become the "Annual Blowing Rock Fourth of July Blues Concert and Firework Show...with lots of hiking, napping and fun thrown in!"

I've posted lots of our pictures below, but to see them all click here.

Jon left for the mountains straight from Charlotte on Thursday afternoon, so me and my co-pilot drove up with Parker.

Cameron and the wonderful cake she and her mom baked!

Not much beats taking a nap with my two boys on a Friday afternoon!

This past Christmas, Aunt Meredith gave us the game Loaded Questions. It is so much fun! We were easily entertained for hours while playing it. "Jumping Craters"...need I say more?

Father and son

Also a father and son :)

Breakfast in bed with Granddaddy

Parker all dressed up for the 4th with his outfit from Cameron and Uncle Jacob.

A couple months ago, Cameron and I decided that we wanted to set up a Slip n' Slide down the back hill at the cabin. I'm so glad we decided to do it. Although I am still pretty sore today (almost a week later), I had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

Group shot before the slippin' n' sliddin' begins.

Jon's turn down the hill...

Brice wishes he could join in on the fun!

Granddaddy and Parker on a walk

Last year, a tradition started at the mountains with Pop Ferguson & the Blues Review band. They set up the stage and play on the Fourth for several hours followed by a fireworks show. We had a very large crowd this year...people even walking down from all over the mountain to see where the music was coming from. Pop, who is shown sitting down in the picture below, recently was inducted into the Smithsonian Institute for being one of the last remaining authentic blues player of his time. The music was amazing. We had such a good time. Wade, a good friend of my dad's from Hickory, is playing the harmonica on the right.

Parker got to have his picture taken with Pop!

After the concert, we all headed back down to our cabin and watched the fireworks in the valley. We had the beach music blaring (I guess in preparation for August?) and were dancing the night away.

Everyone in the family has always been measured and then their height is marked on a bedroom wall in the cabin. It was Parker's turn this year. Now we can keep up with how fast he is growing as we continue to visit the cabin!

On our way back down, we stopped by my old roommate's Meredith's house. Meredith and Jay first saw Parker when he was about a week old. They hadn't seen him since. Meredith and I had so much fun together in our days at USC. I hate that we live so far apart, but I'm so glad we were able to spend some time together and catch up on our way back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...